This website was established while I was a Member of Parliament. The site content is being kept online as a source of information, but all forms / email have been disabled.

Problems, complaints, help wanted ...

Who to contact

This page has details of who to contact for local and national government issues. Other useful contacts for help and advice on a wide range of issues from benefits to water supply are included on the organisations page.


Online guide for problems and complaints >>

Council issues

All council services, including: roads, pavements, public transport, refuse collection, council housing, planning, noise problems.

For most local problems, you should first contact the City of Edinburgh Council by phoning one of the numbers listed in the Edinburgh Council page.

If the matter is not resolved satisfactorily then you should contact your local councillor at the City Chambers or at his/her surgery.

Scottish Parliament issues

Scottish Parliament issues include: education, health, transport, housing, local government, environment, crime and planning issues at a Scottish level.

The Scottish Parliament has responsibility for all matters (known as devolved matters) which have not been formally reserved to Westminster. It therefore has the power to create new legislation, or amend or repeal existing legislation, in the following areas:

  • health;
  • education and training;
  • local government;
  • social work;
  • housing;
  • economic development;
  • transport;
  • law and home affairs (including the police and the emergency services);
  • the environment;
  • agriculture, forestry and fishing;
  • sport and the arts;
  • statistics, public registers and records.

Margaret Smith is the Member for the Scottish Parliament for Edinburgh West. This covers the same area as the constituency represented by John Barrett with the exception of the following :

Margaret Smith represents the former Craigleith council ward but John Barrett does not. John Barrett represents the former Murrayfield and Stenhouse council wards, but Margaret Smith does not.

Surgery - By appointment, at 3 Drum Brae Avenue, Edinburgh EH12 8TE. For an appointment, please call 0131 317 7292 (Monday, Tuesday, Friday) or 0131 348 5786 (Wednesday, Thursday).

Margaret Smith MSP
Scottish Parliament
Edinburgh EH99 1SP

Tel: 0131 348 5786


Margaret Smith MSP

Westminster issues

The UK Parliament at Westminster retains powers (called reserved powers) over the following matters:

  • the constitution of the UK;
  • UK foreign policy;
  • UK defence and national security;
  • UK fiscal, economic and monetary policy;
  • immigration and nationality;
  • employment legislation;
  • common markets for UK goods and services;
  • social security;
  • transport safety and regulation;
  • certain other matters subject to UK and GB regulation, including: abortion, equal opportunities legislation, the National Lottery.

John Barrett, MP for Edinburgh West

Surgery – John Barrett has regular surgeries in the constituency. These are held, by appointment, on Fridays from 3pm and Mondays at 9am at 1a Drum Brae Avenue, Edinburgh EH12 8TE. Additional monthly surgeries are held in Kirkliston, Queensferry and Muirhouse; please contact the constituency office for details. John also holds street surgeries.

John Barrett MP
Constituency Office
1a Drum Brae Ave
Edinburgh EH
12 8TE

Tel: 0131 339 0339

[Email removed, John is no longer an MP]

John Barrett MP

If you aren't sure who to contact, the West Edinburgh Liberal Democrat office can help put you in touch with the right person.

Lib Dem bird logo

West Edinburgh
Liberal Democrats
3 Drum Brae Ave
Edinburgh EH12 8TE

Tel: 0131 339 0800


This website was established while I was a Member of Parliament. The site content is being kept online as a source of information, but all forms / email have been disabled.